February 12, 2009

Do the Looks really Kill?

"Looks Kill"

This is a famous phrase and a fancy phrase. It is often used to describe the arresting beauty of a person's external nature. That is the reason why I hated this phrase.

The term 'arresting beauty' can differ from a person to person. I have often wondered at my friend's admiration of a beauty. It had been, for me atleast, a wasted judgment. The other side it will be the same. The ravishing beauty that I admire becomes a mystery for my friend. Looks do not kill. But they confuse. To put it positively, the judgement on 'looks' reveals much about a person and his aesthetic sense.

But lately I have realized that looks do really kill.
It happened in Mysore before three years. I had gone for a walk in the city. I had a small gang of friends with me. We spoke much and cheered ourselves as we treaded on. On the pavement suddenly I noticed him. He was sitting rather awkwardly. He was peculierly strange. His legs were amputated. He wore not that neat dress. He had a towel spread before him. On the towel I noticed few coins. Then he noticed me. He saw that I was looking at him. He did not articulate anything. He was silent. His eyes sought my small help. These all happened in a few seconds' time. I just crossed him. To give him something was not at all present in my mind. After I passed him I felt it. The feeling was there and it was really real. I felt the look of that man on my back. And since then it had haunted me. Even today I can not forget those looks.

Looks really kill.

Final Note:
I watched a film(Naan Kadavul) recently. Some of the scenes in the film slapped me across the face. The movie deals with beggery. You get to know many things about the beggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment