January 13, 2010

Kaanal Vari by Tamilnathy


Tamilnathy is a Srilankan Tamil writer who lives at present in Chennai. I once just stumbled on her web site during my adventurous trip through various websites. From then on I have become an ardent reader of her posts in the site. I enjoyed her prose more than the poetry. Her poetry is also good. To me, her prose comes before her poetry.

So lately when I learnt that her first novel would be published I was more than eager to get a copy of it. Chennai Book Fair made the chance easy for me. I bought it at the Uyirmmai book stall.

It is a small novel ( only 79 pages) and it talks about the love between a lady and a man. They both are in an illegal affair inthe eyes of the world (they both are married to different people). The love ends in a sad climax(they seperate). This is the crux of the story. But in it she questions society's view on love that exists between two people who are in differnt wedlock, male chavunism etc.

The plot is very ordinary. But I liked the novel for the language. Her prose is superb and at times there are arresting sentences that captur the feelings in a wonderful manner.

Few Examples:

" Vaalvu kaividum bodhu maranam yeththanai alagaanadhaagividugiradhu" (pg. no: 76).

On page 77, there are two paragraphs which talks about time being the great healer. Those passages are simply superb and to the point.

" Pesum, yeludhum vaarthaigalukku visuvaasamaaga naam irukkavendumenbadhu avasiyamaa yenna?" (pg. no: 74).

"Yeeyak kundaaga yen kaalgalai ilukkiradhu un njaabagam" (pg. no: 47)


" Vidindhadhum vadindhu vidum vellam pola pirindhdhum njaabagangalum marandhu ponaal yevvalavu nandraagavirukkum" (pg. no: 41)

Still there are more. Read it and you would medidate on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment